There is always one item I check, double check and triple check for when packing our toiletry bags. Toothbrush? Nope. Toothpaste? Wrong again. It’s coconut oil. Coconut Oil?! Yes. Without a doubt, this is the single most important thing in my toiletry bag when traveling with kids. We all know that space is at a premium when you are traveling, especially when you are traveling with your kids. Packing coconut oil saves me a TON of space because it replaces literally a whole separate toiletry bag of items.
Coconut oil has literally hundreds of uses, many of which go hand in hand with travel. It is sort of a “Coconut oil, how do I use thee? Let me count the ways….” type item for our on the go family. Because honestly, travel with kids is never predictable. There are countless things that could happen and coconut oil is the magic solution to so many of them.
Let’s start with some basics. You’ll quickly see that coconut oil is the answer to so many of those little woes and bumps in the road that happen on holiday.
- Bugs got you down? Bit by a mosquito or other insect? Just use coconut oil to calm your itchy skin. Apply a small amount of oil to the bite(s) and surrounding area for relief.
- Dealing with some dry skin while on vacation? Good thing you packed your coconut oil! Just apply a small amount to your dry skin for instant relief and soft smooth skin.
- Forgot your conditioner? Not to worry. You packed your coconut oil! You can moisturize your locks by using a small amount of coconut oil as an all-natural deep conditioner. Just add the coconut oil to wet, clean hair when you’re in the shower and allow it to absorb into your scalp for a few minutes. Then rinse the coconut oil out well and dry your hair. Proceed to style as usual. Look like a million bucks. Even without your usual conditioner.
- Ouch! Sunburn! Didn’t apply enough SPF? Guess what can come to the rescue? You guessed it. Coconut oil. You’ll just need to apply the oil to burned skin for relief as often as needed.
- Developing a pimple or a breakout? Coconut oil can help calm the irritated skin. Just dab a little on the breakout area and it will begin to work its magic.
- Why bring your bottle of night cream when you have coconut oil? You can literally ditch the night time moisturizer for a thin layer of coconut oil as a moisturizer that lasts and hydrates your skin while you dream about the epic day you had on vacation.
- Tired feet? If you are like me, one of the most relaxing parts about getting all ready for bed after a long day on my feet is to rub some foot cream on them. Why not save yourself one more item in your toiletry bag and instead use this awesome all natural solution to moisturizing your skin!
- The best makeup remover around. Seriously. I even have a jar of coconut oil in my vanity because it is the bomb-diggity for removing makeup. Even pesky waterproof mascara is no match for rubbing some coconut oil between my fingers so it melts and gently massaging my makeup off.
But wait, there’s more that it can do in!
- For my kids, coconut oil is the magic cream. It fixes all problems. Especially owies. We all know packing a basic first aid kit when traveling is a must, but you can simplify your kit by carrying coconut oil to treat small cuts and scrapes! Apply a small amount of coconut oil to a cut or scrape and the surrounding area. Studies have shown that the oil contains antioxidants that may help cuts heal faster.
- Instant lip-balm! Apply a small amount of coconut oil on your lips for soft, kissable lips…even if you forgot your chapstick!
- Help hangnails. A little coconut oil can go a long way in helping with stubborn hangnails. I know when our kids end up with a tiny hangnail, there might as well be a giant open wound on their hand. Rubbing a little coconut oil in helps relieve the pain of a hangnail and also helps it heal lickety split.
- Getting sick on vacation? Mixing coconut oil with a few drops of Peppermint Essential Oil makes the perfect chest rub to ease a sore throat that’s coming on.
- Relaxation station. Similarly, mix some coconut oil with a few drops of Lavender Oil for a simple rub that helps calm kiddos and grownups alike who are struggling with falling asleep in a new place on vacation, fighting jet lag or just need to breathe in some zen.
Are you trying to figure out how to pack a giant tub of coconut oil for your next trip?
No need. There are literally travel size packets of coconut available — making it easy to toss a bunch into your luggage or even your carry on bag. Or use our favorite silicone travel cream pots for storing your coconut oil. Either way, you’ll be set!
Of course, if you are checking luggage, it is easy to pack a full container as well. Do be sure to place it in a ziplock style bag just in case for some reason it leaks. Oil stains on clothes are definitely not a great way to start a vacation.
What else would you use coconut oil for on your next adventure?